BEEF WITH MILK SAUCE


Good Monday morning to everyone. After a coffee and a chat with a friend @ Starbucks the week starts nicely. Niki is at the nursery and Sebastian is sleeping, so I can have some ( always so longed for!!) ME time.
Today I'm still a bit shocked after watching yesterday's episode of "Jamie's American Food Revolution". 6 years old kids that cannot distinguish a potato from a tomato. But as soon as they're shown French fries or Hamburgers, they know exactly what they are and how they're called. Teenagers diagnosed with diabetes.... and I've realized how different our eating habits are from theirs. When I cook I use olive oil rather than butter, and I usually grill food rather than deep-fry it. Or maybe, the big and only difference is that I COOK instead of buying take-away or frozen food.  I think that the only frozen food in my kitchen are peas. Now I wish I could go and help Jamie to show these people how easy it can be to eat healthily.

Ingredients:

1 kg beef silverside
600 ml milk
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp whole green/pink peppercorns
Rosemary
Sage
Flour
Salt
Olive oil



Chop finely the rosemary and the sage and rub them in on the joint with some salt.

Sprinkle the flour over the beef  and pat it with your hands. This will crisp up the fat when it's cooked.

Pour two tbs of olive oil in a large and high pan, add a clove of garlic and fry the meat until gold on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Now take out the garlic and pour in the milk adding some salt and the peppercorns. Mix well with a wooden spoon.

Let it simmer on a very low temperature without bubbling for 1 hour with the lid and 1/2 hour without.

Check the meat with a fork - it should be butter soft. You can tell if the joint is cooked to your liking by sticking a skewer into the middle of the joint. If the juices are clear it's well done. Pink shows it's medium, and red shows it's rare.
When  cooked take the meat out and cut it into thin slices. Blend the sauce in the food processor and then pour it on the beef slices. Serve with potatoes or salad.

Comments

Popular Posts